postnuptial agreement

When Circumstances Change After Divorce

Settlements Aren't Set In Stone
When you sign a divorce settlement agreement with your spouse, that settlement provides the template for how life will proceed after the divorce, regarding issues such as spousal support, child custody and other matters. Unless something significant happens to change your circumstances, that agreement is final. However, if your personal situation changes, or you discover information that could affect elements of your settlement, you may be able to work with an attorney to petition for a modification.

Situations That May Warrant A Modification
Not every life change is dramatic enough to justify a modification. But if you experience a serious financial setback, such as unemployment or a medical crisis (yours or a child's), you may be able to petition the court for changes to your divorce decree. You may also be able to change child support or custody arrangements through a modification. For example, if your spouse has primary custody of your children, and you discover that your spouse is using drugs or that your children are experiencing abuse of some sort, this may also provide adequate grounds for a successful modification petition.

Find Out What's Possible For You

You don't have to suffer in silence if the terms of your divorce no longer match your personal situation. To discuss how you might be able to change the terms of your divorce after the fact, call our California law firm, DeLacey, Riebel & Shindell, LLP, to schedule a consultation with a lawyer at our San Francisco office. You may also send us an email via our online system to get in touch.